These are challenging times.
Sometimes it’s easy to tell when you are under stress, but other times we have so much going on, we don’t notice the ways stress is affecting our feelings, bodies, and behavior.
How you might feel if you are dealing with stress:
- Irritable, aggressive, impatient, or wound up
- Anxious, nervous, or afraid
- Like your thoughts are racing
- Unable to enjoy yourself
- Like you've lost your sense of humor
How your body might be affected if you are dealing with stress:
- Shallow breathing or hyperventilating
- Muscle tension
- Problems getting to sleep, staying asleep, or having nightmares
- Chest pains
How you might behave differently if you are dealing with stress:
- Eating too much or too little
- Finding it hard to make decisions
- Avoiding situations that are troubling you
- Snapping at people
- Restless, like you can't sit still
The current situation makes managing stress more difficult than usual, but there are many ways to reduce or relieve it: practicing mindfulness and positive self-talk, exercising regularly, as well as maintaining a healthy diet. If you have trouble managing your stress, or if it is negatively impacting your life, consider talking with a professional to learn some tools and coping skills to help you feel your best.